Pioneer Ancestry

Researching the genealogy of Jacob F. Francom

Alta Lenora Shurtliff

Female 1891 - 11 Apr 1977

Personal Information    |    Media    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Alta Lenora Shurtliff 
    Born 18 Mar 1891  Logan, Cache, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Died 11 Apr 1977  Bountiful, Davis,Utah Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 15 Apr 1977  Ogden, Weber,Utah Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • 1. TIB
      2. IGI
      3. Birth certificate, L.D.S. Records signed by Joseph Fielding Smith 9 Sep
      1955. Cache Stake, Logan 1st Ward, Record of Members recorded 2 July 1891 in
      the Charles E. and Alta Shurtliff Family Records in the possession of
      Ruth T. Sandgren.

      4. Blessing: 2 July 1891 by Jos. E. Wilson, Logan First Ward Records, p.
      53 #10719, (GS026074).
      Alta Priscilla and the Children are listed. (28 Sep 1890)
      Alta Priscilla was in Richfield 2nd Ward (received from).
      (Asa, mother's brother became a deacon 2 Nov 1893 by Jos. E. Wilson.)
      22 April 1894 were received in Logan 6/1st Ward #561.
      Alta removed 17 Feb 1916 to Ogden , Utah.

      5 . !Baptism records, Logan 1st Ward, Book , p. , #1258 ,
      (GS ). Baptized by S. G. Spellman and confirmed by Jos. E. Cowley.

      6. !Logan Temple Endowment, 27 Jan 1916, Book A, p. 61, #1451

      7. !Logan Temple Sealings, 2 Feb 1916, Book A, p. 31, #479 (GS
      178139). Cache County Marriage licenses: 1 Feb 1916 Book 9
      Page 78, License number 23, Film #430302/309.

      7. Ward Records: Ogden 6th Ward Records of Members, Book , p, ,
      #1033 and block style #1348 (GS026233).

      8. Ward Records: Brigham City 4th Ward, Book , p. , #110 and block
      style of all the family (1927-1941) (GS025678).

      9. Branch Records: Albuquerque Branch, 1940-1941, Book, , p. , #375,
      (GS001958). Our residence was at 618 W. Silver.

      10. !Death: 11 Apr 1977 (age 86) in hospital at Bountiful, Utah.

      11. !Death Certificate in her book of remembrance in the care of
      Ruth Tillotson Sandgren. Burial was in Ogden City Cemetery.

      When we lived in Knight's Court in Ogden, when I was seven and eight, I think
      we girls were left at home quite often while Mother helped our father at the
      Ogden Engraving plant at the Standard Examiner building.

      She would go and keep records for him--ledgers telling what work was done and
      records of his finances. His business was flourishing and people
      came in to discuss either yearbook pictures, layouts for the society page in
      the Sunday paper, or just individual pictures from which he would make zink
      plates for the Ogden Standard to print. He worked closely with the Standard
      Examiner newspaper, but also with the different highschools throughout
      the state doing all the engraving work for their high school's yearbooks.

      I do remember the Essex in a small garage on Knight's Court. I
      don't remember the use of it except to go to get icecream cones when we were
      together as a family. So, I believe Mother also did much walking to and from the
      office. I remember her dressing warmly, one winter especially, in a long,
      brown woolen coat, with brown felt wide-brim, pretty hat trimmed in
      orange or rust and brown satin or velvet ribbon. Dad worked long hours and
      walked energetically from place to place thinking little
      of it-- home from Keisel Ave. just off 24th Street to Liberty Ave. (between
      Madison and Monroe Ave.), after we moved back to our old home. From Knight's
      Court he had to go to Monroe Ave. and almost to 22nd street, a matter of about
      two blocks more. (And Ogden's blocks were really large ones). It
      was necessary for someone to be at the desk in the front office to
      meet customers so Dad could carry on with the photo-engraving work in the other
      rooms--two of them besides the office, joined together, one for photography and
      proofing (with a large hand printer which I always thought made our father
      strong as he had to pull so hard on a long handle to make his proofs from
      the zink plates.) Also, in this room was a large graphlex press camera
      with bellows, which could blind a person if he looked at the carbon cylinders
      in the lamp which lit up the room like flashes of lightening as a picture was
      taken. This camera was used to photograph the picture
      on to the plate, I believe. The other room was for dark-room and chemical mixing
      with large wooden tubs (vats) where the various chemicals were brushed on the
      plates and brushed off again after an exact time. There were curious-looking
      beakers and bottles on a shelf here and I remember especially what was called
      dragon's blood", which didn't smell very pleasant. Dad liked to send me on
      errands to the drug store nearby for denatured alcohol or other
      interesting-sounding things he used in etching the plates. Speaking of
      errands--often we girls were sent, especially when Mother was home engaged in
      other activities, such as Primary meetings, etc., when our father was having to
      work late or at least long hours, Mother would send some or all of us to 'the
      office' with a crisco can of a good stew or split-pea soup, etc. for our
      daddy's supper. We always enjoyed the adventure, if I recall correctly and
      loved to be near Dad to watch him work or visit with him while he worked, or
      meet some of the Standard Examiner friends, editors, etc. It seems the elevator
      in the building had some fascination for us, too, and the operators knew us as
      we came and went.

      At Knight's Court one special memory was Springtime when our mother provided
      for us new underthings and sox and we could leave off the heavier, Winter duds.
      Here Mother provided us with whatever material we would like to make clothing
      and Ruth and I especially began to make our own clothing. I remember a hat and
      purse Ruth made and especially after moving to our old home Mother purchased a
      portable sewing maching and we started making coulottes. After starting Jr.
      High I made a wool suit and jumper. (Here, also, we embroidered squares for a
      Sun-bonnet Quilt.)

      Some of the escapades at Knight's Court while Mother worked were: mixing up
      candy of cocoa powder, powdered sugar with 100 per cent bran and milk. We also
      enjoyed puffing our mouths full of powdered sugar at each other.

      Mother and Daddy were concerned for our use of time as shown in our assignments
      to keep the house clean. My job I remember was sweeping the living-room carpet
      with a broom. We worked as hard as we knew how on our tasks and were happily
      surprised with a pleasant trip to the grocery store with one of our parents, or
      a fine phonograph record for the phonograph our Dad brought for us to play
      children's records and many of the beautiful, classical recordings of the day.
      " Little Spanish Town" was a fovorite, as was "The Big Brown Bear."

      An example of caring parents is shown in Mother's teaching me to overcome my
      mischievousness. I believe we were taught the steps of repentance kindly and
      then given the opportunity to ask forgiveness from those we sinned against and
      the Lord. I recall kneeling before Mother in front of our large, warm cooking
      stove and asking for forgiveness for some things involved in getting into other
      person's properties. I don't recall any spankings, but I knew just from our
      Mother's expressions when she was pleased or displeased and believe I learned
      to love and please both my parents because of their gentleness and sincere
      concern for each of us.

      Mother was often involved, as a Primary teacher or leader in making goodies for
      their meetings--usually really good food, such as tomale pie made in cans and
      steamed or a freezer of pineapple sherbert. These fellow-workers were our
      dearest friends and sometimes relatives. G'ma Charlotte was always involved in
      such gatherings as was Aunt Beuna. I especially remember our gatherings of
      this type and piano and/or vocal recitals after we moved back to our old home
      on Liberty Avenue.

      Mother quietly served wherever called and always seemed to have the energy to
      do what was needed, whether it was outside work and even milking our cow, or
      nursing it; quilting with Grandmother on a quilt of washed pieces of wool, or a
      new one; helping Dad at the office; bottling whatever produce we
      could--tomatoes and tomatoe juice, applesauce, apricots, peaches and pears,
      plums, rootbeer; caring for the milk we got twice each day and making cottage
      cheese, sometimes butter. Secretarial bookwork in one of her church
      callinags; attending our school and church functions with each of us,
      besides sewing for each of us made-over coats,etc.; washing our clothes
      to help us keep clean was never-ending. My recollections were that
      Mother did it all cheerfully, sometimes obviously a bit weary, but never
      complaining; rather she championed when all was in order on a Sunday Morning
      although she may have been up until ll:55 p.m. to make things shine and to
      prepare the necessary nourishing dinner and goodies for us.
      dinner and goodies for us.

      Mother always encouraged us to use our talents; to perform on programs,
      reunions, etc. always helping us to feel we could do all we would put our minds
      to. (I say Mother, but we knew whatever Mother did was done with Dad's approval;
      they were one in purpose and spirit.)

      4. Blessing: 2 July 1891 by Jos. E. Wilson, Logan First Ward Records, p.
      53 #10719, (GS026074).
      Alta Priscilla and the Children are listed. (28 Sep 1890)
      Alta Priscilla was in Richfield 2nd Ward (received from).
      (Asa, mother's brother became a deacon 2 Nov 1893 by Jos. E. Wilson.)
      22`April 1894 were received in Logan 6/1st Ward #561.
      Alta removed 17 Feb 1916 to Ogden , Utah.
    Person ID I7905  Pioneer Ancestry
    Last Modified 26 Jul 2006 

    Father Francis Marion Shurtliff 
    Mother Alta Priscilla Hancock 
    Married 22 Nov 1872  Salt Lake, Salt Lake,Ut Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F24580288  Group Sheet

    Family Charles Ephraim Tillotson,   b. 07 Apr 1890, Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 04 Apr 1975, Ogden, Weber, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 84 years) 
    Married 2 Feb 1916  Logan, Cache,Utah Find all individuals with events at this location 
    +1. C. Tillotson
     2. Charles Shurtliff Tillotson,   b. 09 Mar 1917, Ogden, Weber,Utah Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Apr 1927, Ogden, Weber,Utah Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 10 years)
    +3. R. Tillotson
    +4. M. Tillotson
    +5. S.B. Tillotson
    Last Modified 2 Aug 2007 
    Family ID F24580280  Group Sheet

  • Headstones
    Tillotson, Charles Ephraim (1890-1975) & Alta (1891-1977)
    Tillotson, Charles Ephraim (1890-1975) & Alta (1891-1977)