The history of Utah and the West was made not only by the heroes and heroines whom the historians have identified and about whom they have written, but also by an almost endless number of other pioneers who may be remembered only by a few of their descendents; but who, nevertheless, through their courage, their sacrifices, and their commitment to a cause, demonstrated a love for truth and righteousness that is unique in the history of the world.  Young and old alike separated themselves willingly and eagerly from home, family, and country of birth, to become a part of a new country and a new religion.


It is a source of great satisfaction and pride for the descendents of Archibald Anderson to realize that their own Great Grandparents and their Grandparents were a part of this movement, and that the life and liberty which we enjoy in America today—in spite of all the unrest and disorder that is rampant in the land—is ours, in part, because some Scottish coal-miners heard the Mormon missionaries and recognized the Word of God and responded to the call to gather in Zion.  That this is the heart and soul of the Anderson heritage is inescapable.


The migration of the Anderson to Utah was initiated by those who were not really Andersons.  Agnes Baird Adamson and her two sons Alexander and Dougal provided a good share of the motivation, the example, and part of the financial resources that later brought her son-in-law, Archibald Anderson; her daughter, Agnes Adamson Anderson; and her three grandsons, Archibald Adamson Anderson, john Anderson, and James Anderson, to the new home in the valleys of the mountains.  It is most appropriate that the Adamson saga be included in this history.


Agnes Baird Adamson was in her 68th year, well beyond the average life of people of that day, when she, Alexander and Dougal, ages 26 and 24 respectively, left their native land of Scotland.  They were among the first of the Scottish Saints to undertake the trip to the far west of America.


It was on February 12, 1848 that this family sailed from Glasgow on the steam boat “Admiral” bound for Liverpool.  They traveled down the Clyde River, through the Firth of Clyde, through the North Channel and into the Irish Sea.  After a rough passage on the 13th they arrived at Liverpool that evening about six o’clock.  Part of the story is told in Alexander’s own words:


“President Franklin D. Richards…accompanied us to a very respectable lodging house and we received good treatment by paying ninepence each, each night we remained till the nineteenth when we went on board of the “Carnatic” Ship for New Orleans.  Our passages were three pounds 5 each.


“But on Wednesday the 16th we had our berth marked and our luggage in the Eliza 3 at the side of her.  When some means or other occurred that prevented us from going on board of her, I cannot give no account of.” (1)


In spite of the lack of any wind the Carnatic was drawn out into the Mersey River on the morning of Sunday, February 20, but the ship just laid there for two days.  On Tuesday they were towed farther along the river toward the Irish Sea.  That evening strong head winds began to develop.  The ship Eliza sailed ahead of the Carnatic that night.  On Wednesday the 23rd Alexander records in his journal:


“Still head winds.  Our Captain told us he was afraid the Ship Eliza was lost last night.  Her lights were seen about 8 o’clock in the evening and in a sudden disappeared.”


The head winds continued and eventually developed into a fierce storm that tossed the ship about in the channel for several days.  It was nearly two weeks before they rounded the Cape and entered the Atlantic Ocean.


There are no entries in the Journal of Alexander Adamson after Saturday April 15.  (This is just four days before the arrival at New Orleans on the 19th).  His day-by-day entries during this voyage of almost ten weeks describes a long and tiresome journey.  The winds were quite contrary, there was sea-sickness, heat, and even death and burial at sea, but at no time is there any hint of discontent, illness, or unhappiness in the journal entries regarding Alexander, his mother, or his brother.  Rather, there are innumerable references to the great blessings that all enjoyed in the Gospel and in traveling toward America.


The entire company left New Orleans on Sunday morning, April 23, on the steam boat “Mameluke” under Captain Cooledge.  They arrived at St. Louis a week later on Sunday, April 30.  The Captain permitted them to remain on the ship at St. Louis until they could contract for their passage on up the river. (2)


A contract was finally made with Captain Patterson of the steamboat “Mustang” to take the Carnatic Company (as well as other saints who had arrived from different parts of the United States), to Winter Quarters.  They sailed form St. Louis about the 9th of May and arrived at Winter Quarters the middle of the month.


It is difficult, if not impossible, to identify the Adamson family with a particular company.  President Brigham Young and members of the council, who had spent the winter of 1847-48 at Winter Quarters, in may and early June of 1848, organized the saints who were arriving at Winter Quarters into companies of hundreds, fifties and tens, preparatory to moving toward the Salt Lake Valley.


“June—In the commencement of this month President young broke camp at the Elkhorn and started for Great Salt Lake Valley with a company consisting of 1,229 souls and 397 wagons.  He was followed by Heber C. Kimball’s company of 662 souls and 226 wagons, and Willard Richards’ company of 526 souls and 169 wagons.  The last wagons left Winter Quarters July 3rd, leaving that place almost destitute of inhabitants.” (3)


President Young’s company arrived in the Salt lake Valley on Wednesday, September 20, and the other companies arrived shortly thereafter.  Undoubtedly, the Adamsons were in one of these companies!


And so, within a little over a year after the original settlement of the Great Salt lake Valley and approximately seven months after their departure from Scotland, Great Great Grandmother Agnes Baird Adamson and her two sons, Alexander and Dougal had arrived among the saints in Zion, and the great pilgrimage about which they dreamed had been completed.


The task of building a home still remained ahead, however.  Orson F. Whitney’s History of Utah describes some of the initial steps that were taken by the saints in settling the Valley:


“During the autumn the city lots were given out to the settlers, and when all had been distributed, others were laid out in extensions to the original plot, and allotted in like manner.  A vast field of eight thousand acres was surveyed south of and bordering upon the city, plotted in five and ten-acre fields and distributed by lot to the people.  Each man was to help build a fence around the “Big Field”, and construct a canal along the east side for irrigating purposes.  These lands were not sold, but given, as in the first instance when the apostles selected their “inheritances”.  But a small fee was required from each holder to pay the surveyor.


“Before winter set in, some of the people began leaving the fort and moving out upon their city lots.  Most of them, however, remained in the stockade until spring.  They then took their houses with them—such of the domiciles as were portable—and set them down, according to the rule, in or near the center of their lots.  Thus as the city grew the fort began to disappear, and soon there was little left of it but a few adobe walls to show where it stood.


“The winter of 1848-49, unlike its predecessor, was uncommonly severe.  Heavy snows and violent winds prevailed, and the weather, from the 1st of December until late February, was extremely cold.  The coldest day was the 5th of February, when the mercury fell to 33 degrees F. below zero.  An inventor of breadstuffs taken early that month showed about three-fourths of a pound per day for each soul in the Valley, until the beginning of July.  The pressure of the famine was severely felt, but the community generally shared alike and extreme suffering was thus prevented.  The earth that season yielded abundantly, and the famine was again staid.”


Alexander and Dougal later took up land in the Old Union Fort area near the present site of the city of Murray.  Here they built their homes and tilled the soil as they helped to make the “desert blossom as the rose.”  They were also helping to prepare the way for the coming of their daughter and sister, Agnes Adamson Anderson; her husband, Archibald Anderson; and the three sons, Archibald Adamson Anderson, John, and James Anderson.


This mother and her two sons were pioneers in every sense of the word!  They were among the first to enter the new land and to literally conquer the wilderness.  How deeply they affected the determination of the Anderson in their resolution to also come to America can only be left to the thoughtful appraisal of the descendents of both families.





For generations the city of Glasgow, Scotland and its environs had been the home area of the Archibald Anderson family as well as for many of the families into which the Andersons had married.  In those days, even as today, men were, no doubt, forced to change their place of residence as the opportunities for employment and a livelihood shifted and changed with the times.  Jobs ran out and people were forced to move to the place where new opportunities existed.  For the most part, however, these activities for the Anderson and their ancestors appear to have centered around the city of Glasgow. (5)


Archibald Anderson, by whose name the family has become identified, was born September 24, 1805, in Eastwood, Wheel Renfrew, Scotland, the first son and child of Robert Anderson and Margaret Armstrong.  Little, if anything, is known about these parents beyond their probable birth places, the date of their marriage, and that they may have had eight other children after the birth of Archibald.


When Archibald was about twenty-one years of age (1826) he courted and then married Agnes Adamson, who was born May 5, 1804 in Lightburn, Lanark, Scotland, the second daughter and third child of William Adamson and Agnes Baird.  Among the other twelve children born to the Adamsons were the two youngest, Alexander and Dougal, who were identified earlier in this story.


The information regarding the life of Archibald Anderson and Agnes Adamson while they were still in Scotland is very meager.  In the twenty years following their marriage and in which their ten children were born, they must have moved several times as there are at least six different places where children were born to them. (6)  They, too, responded to the need to take their home and family to where the work existed.


Archibald was a miner by trade.  His earnings, at least for a while, were supplemented by the income received from a little notions store which his good wife operated. (7)  Even with this additional income it is not difficult to imagine the struggle this couple had in providing food, clothing, and shelter for themselves and family of children.


From among the stories and experiences which have been written regarding Archibald Anderson it is possible to get the impression that he was a deeply religious man and that he studied the Bible at great length.  From an earlier Anderson publication this account is given:


“He married Agnes Adamson, and as they started to raise their children it became necessary, according to their minister, for them to have their babies sprinkled.  For some time Great Grandfather complied with this doctrine, and then, finally, he rebelled against it.  He told the Minister that nowhere in the scripture could he find where it was necessary for young children to be sprinkled, and that he would let the dews of Heaven baptize his children before he would let the Minister sprinkle any more of his children.” (8)


A growing dissatisfaction with this doctrine on baptism as well as with other concepts held by the Presbyterian Church to which they belonged, created in the Anderson family a receptivity to the teaching of the Mormon missionaries whom they must have met sometime in the mid or late 1840’s.  Archibald and his wife Agnes accepted the Gospel and were probably baptized at about the same time in December of 1847.  Archibald Adamson, the eldest living son, was baptized in 1848. (9)  The two younger boys, John and James were both baptized in 1850. (10)


Apparently the three boys were the only children in the family who became members of the Church.  It is known that Agnes (born 24 July 1834) married a Presbyterian by the name of James Whitelaw and remained in that faith throughout her life.  She remained in Scotland and raised a family. (11)


Very little is known of Margaret A. Anderson, a daughter born to Archibald and Agnes August 31, 1829.  If the death date of 1865 given on the Family Group Sheet is correct, it means that she, too, was living when her family moved to America.  In the earlier histories of the family it is recorded that she “reached young womanhood and then passed away”.  If she was living in 1856, about the only inference that can be drawn is that she did not choose to become a member of the Church and made the decision to remain in her homeland when her parents and brothers made the all-important decision to cast their lots with the Saints in Zion.  Like so many other things related to early history of the family, the story of Margaret remains unknown.


Five other children of this family, as will be seen from the Family Group Sheet, died in childhood and were buried in Scotland before the family began its trek to America.


At about the time the Andersons were accepting the Gospel, Utah was being settled, and the call for the Saints to gather in Zion was good out.  In a General Epistle issued by the Church leaders on December 23, 1847, the instructions were:


“To all Saints in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and the adjacent islands and countries, we say emigrate as speedily as possible to this vicinity…bringing with you all kinds of choice seeds, or grain, vegetables, fruit, shrubbery, trees and vines, everything that will please the eye, gladden the heart, or cheer the soul of man, that grown upon the face of the whole earth; also the best tools of every description, and machinery for spinning, or weaving, and dressing cotton, wool, flax, and silk, etc…So far as it can be consistently done, bring models and drafts, and let the machinery be built where it is used, which will save great expense in transportation, particularly in heavy machinery, and tools and implements generally.” (12)


Missionaries in all of these countries were instructed to “Tell them to flee to Zion”, and through the Millennial Star, the first foreign publication of the Church, the same urgent message on the “gathering” went to all the European Saints, President Orson Spencer proclaimed on February 1, 1848: “The channel of Saints Emmigration to the land of Zion is now opened.  The long wished for time of gathering has come, Good tidings from Mt. Zion!  The resting place of Israel for the last day has been discovered.” (13)


The money for the trip was just not available to Archibald Anderson and his family, and the prospects of the future were extremely dim.  A miner’s wages, even supplemented by the little income from the notions store, barely provided the necessities of life without thinking of saving money for such a venture, but this was a determined family, and the decision was made that they would achieve this goal by carefully saving what they could over the next year or so.


“Three years of saving were not enough to carry them on the journey they wanted to take…”, is the expression used in some writings about the family.  At this point a major change in plans was made by Archibald, his wife and children.  What the precise factors were in this decision are not known, but it is safe to generalize that they simply felt that their ultimate good might be more quickly achieved if the father were to go to America where he might somehow prepare the way for his family.


Perhaps enough money had been saved to pay the passage for one person, and if the father could get to America and Utah the opportunities might be better for him there to improve the total financial status of the family.  The boys could continue their work in the mines and support their mother in the absence of the father.  And so, it was planned for Archibald to make the trip to Zion alone, hoping to bring the other members of the family at a later time.


It is known that Archibald Anderson was a passenger on the sailing vessel “Samuel Curling” which left Liverpool April 22, 1855 bound for New York.  Israel Barlow, a missionary returning from the European mission, was president of the company of 581 saints on this vessel, with John Perry and John Robertson, also returning missionaries, as his counselors.  This company arrived at New York City on May 27, and the emigrants, continued on their journey by rail to Pittsburg, thence by steamboat on the rivers, via St. Louis, to Atchinson, Kansas. (14)  The preparations for the balance of the journey westward were made at Mormon Grove, a few miles away.


After a short delay in Mormon Grove, the Company of which Archibald Anderson was a part, began the final overland trek that was to carry these Saints into the great Sale Lake Valley.  This was the Eighth Company containing the Third Division of the Perpetual Emigration Fund emigrants, and consisted of 452 souls, 48 wagons, 262 oxen, 60 cows, 1 horse and 1 mule.  The company was under the direction of Milo Andrus, assisted by John S. Fullmer.  It left Mormon Grove on the 4th or 5th of August of 1855 and arrived in Salt Lake Valley on October 24, the last of all the companies of emigrating saints to arrive in the Valley that year. (15)


The arrival of Archibald in the Valley meant, of course, the reunion with his mother-in-law and brothers-in-law, the Adamsons, who had by this time been in Utah for seven years.  The occasion was a joyous one.  Not only was Archibald serving as a messenger with personal greetings from the loved ones still in Scotland, but his arrival also meant that one more important step in fulfillment of the ultimate dream had been completed.  There were also many stories to be told and experiences to relate about the past seven years in the valley of the Great Salt lake, as well as provision to be made for housing Archibald for the winter months which would soon be upon them.


It is quite likely that Archibald lived with the Adamsons during that first year in Utah.  He probably worked along with them as they attempted to consolidate the gains made in their seven years in America, but from the outset Archibald was planning and working for the time when his family could be with him.





With the save arrival of Archibald in Utah, all attention is not focused upon Agnes and her children who still remain in Scotland.  This man, whose family helped decide that he should go on ahead to Zion to help prepare the way for the balance of them, is dedicated to the task of finding the way and the means of bringing about the fulfillment of the next phase of their dream.  Every waking moment, and many of his dreams, as well as the daily work he performs, are filled with thoughts of his loved ones.


Money accumulated slowly, however, both in America and in Scotland, and at times it appears that the family may never be reunited.  Alexander and Dougal, with resources which they made available to Archibald, finally made it possible for the word to be sent to Agnes that she should prepare to sail for America.  This was during the winter of 1855-56.  The plan was for her to leave Scotland in the Spring of 1856.


This meant a new flurry of activity on the part of Agnes and her children.  In spite of their earlier preparations there was still so much to be done and so many arrangements to be made.  Her three stalwart sons now ages 19, 15, and 13 were of untold assistance and comfort to her in these preparations as was her daughter Agnes, now Mrs. James Whitelaw, and Margaret A. (if she were still alive at this time).


At the same time that the joy and excitement of the forthcoming journey filled her heart, Agnes was also sorrowed at the thought of leaving her daughter or daughters behind.  Having already lost at least two little girls through death, how does a mother tear herself away from her only other daughters knowing full well that she will probably never see them again?  Contemplation of the parting must surely have warmed and intensified the relationship of Agnes and her girls in those days and weeks that followed the message from America and preceding the actual departure of the family.


At about the time Agnes and family were making preparation to depart from Scotland, the Church announced a new plan and policy for travel across the plains for Iowa City.  A letter from Brigham young to Franklin D. Richards, President of the European mission and Editor of the Millenial Star announced this policy:


“I have been thinking how we should operate another year.  We cannot afford to purchase wagons and teams as in times past.  I am consequently thrown back upon my old plan—to make hand-carts, and let the emigration foot it, and draw upon them [the carts] the necessary supplies, having a cow or two for every ten.  They can come just as quick, if not quicker and much cheaper—can start earlier and escape the prevailing sickness which annually lays so many of our brethren in the dust.  A great many of them walk now, even with the teams which are provided, and have a great deal more care and perplexity than they would have if they come without them.


“They will need only 90 days rations from the time of their leaving the Missouri River, and as the settlements extend up the Platte, not that much.  The carts can be made without a particle of iron, with wheels hoped, made strong and light, and one, or if the family is large, two of them will bring all that they will need upon the plains…” (16)


“Let the Saints, therefore, who intend to immigrate the ensuing year, understand that they are expected to walk and draw their luggage across the plains, and that they will be assisted by the Fund in no other way...If this project is once fairly tested, and proves as successful as we have no doubts it will, the main expense of the immigration will be avoided, consequently thousands more than heretofore can receive assistance.” (17)


The plans for the Saints wishing to travel to Utah in the Spring of 1856, as made by the Church and its leaders were extensive and complete.  Companies were to depart from Liverpool to one of the American parts mentioned above.  Each was under the supervision of a missionary or missionaries who were returning from their labors in the European Mission, and all were expected to utilize the handcart as a mode of transportation.  The Perpetual Emigration fund was available for those requiring it, and no doubt many of the European Saints needed its help. (18)


This was the swirl of activity and excitement in which Agnes and her family were caught up as they completed preparations for their departure from their homeland.  They were to be in the first company to leave Liverpool late in March and thus their departure from Glascow must be fairly early in March.


It was on March 10, 1856 when the Andersons—Agnes, Archibald Adamson, John, and James, said farewell and goodbye to loved ones and friends and began the long and tedious trip to join their husband and father.  The agony of parting, so long anticipated and dreaded was upon them.  In spite of all their prayers and the faith they had in the Gospel and in their Heavenly Father, saying goodbye under these circumstances was one of the most difficult experiences of all.  One of James’ daughters, at a much later time, write: “Many times I heard my father say, ‘It’s hard to erase the vision before my eyes, when our sailing vessel pulled out of the docks and left Agnes with a baby in her arms sobbing her heart out, knowing that she may never see her loved ones again, and she never did’.” (19)


This group of Scottish Saints traveled down the Clyde River through the Irish Sea and arrived at Liverpool a few days later where final preparations for the ocean voyage were made.


On Saturday, March 23, 1856, the sailing vessel “Enoch Train”, a ship of 1755 tons under Captain henry P. Rich, cleared for Boston.  The Andersons’, with their address given on the shipping list as Braehaad, Baielleston, near Glasgow, were among the 534 souls on board.  This company was under the Presidency of Elder James Ferguson, with Edmund Ellsworth and Daniel D. McArthur as his counselors.  These were all returning missionaries. (20)


The “Enoch Train” arrived at Boston harbor on May 1, 1856 after approximately five weeks on the water.  The company then continued the journey by rail traveling first to New York City and then on to Iowa City where they arrived on May 12.  The Hafens write, “Upon arrival at Iowa City, terminus of the railroad, emigrants from the “Enoch Train” found much to be done and endured, through nearly four weeks of waiting, before they could commence their farther journey to Zion”. (21)


Daniel M. McArthur describes one of the first actions effecting the company after the arrival at Iowa City:


“On the 19th of May, 1856, our company, which had crossed the sea with us, were divided, by President Daniel Spencer, into two handcart companies, Brother Edmond Ellsworth to take charge of the second company.  Then every move was made to get our carts ready, which job was a tedious one, but using all of our efforts, the first company was able to start on the 9th of June, and the second on the 11th about 11 o’clock.” (22)


The Andersons were assigned to the Second Handcart Company and were among the 222 souls who, under the command of Daniel D. McArthur, with Spencer Crandall and Truman Leonard as assistants, began the final phase of their great journey on June 11, 1856.  The first two companies “…numbered in all 497 souls, embraced 104 of the ‘S Curling’s’ Company, and their fit out was, together, 100 handcarts, 5 wagons, 24 oxen, 4 mules, 25 tents, and provisions to Florence…” (23)


Within some of the many brief histories and incidents and have been written about the Andersons it is reported that they had their own handcart and that the chief responsibility for pulling it was assumed by Agnes and the oldest son Archibald, while the two younger boys helped with driving the stock.  It is quite likely that there was plenty of pulling and pushing for each of the family members as they made their way toward the West.


Captain McArthur’s own report gives a picture of some of the problems the company faced:


“We had the very best of good luck all the way, although the weather was very hot and sweltering, but let me tell you, the Saints were not to be overcome.  Our carts, when we started were in an awful fix.  They moaned and growled, screeched and squealed, so that a person could hear them for miles.  You may think this is stretching things a little too much, but it is a fact, and we had them to eternally patch, mornings, noons, and nights.  But by our industry we got them all along to Florence, and being obliged to stop at Florence some two weeks to get our outfit for the plains, I and my council, namely Truman Leonard and Spencer Crandall, went to work and gave our carts a thorough repair throughout, and on the 24th of July, at 12 o’clock, we struck our tents and started for the plains, all in the best of spirits.” (24)


One hundred and ten years after this event, on can only imagine the hardships that were endured by Agnes and her sons on the long journey of a thousand miles from Florence to the Great Salt Lake Valley.  Usually beginning their day at 5:00 a.m., they pulled their cart 10, 15, 20, and even 25 miles in a day, and then find their only rest and recovery in the very meager rations of food, and sleep on the ground with only a little grass or a few twigs to provide cushion for their weary bodies.  They endured the blistering heat of the prairie, sometimes traveling most of the day without any water, and then having to dig for what little might be available in the ground.  The elements of wind, lightening, thunder, rain, and flood, beat at them mercilessly at times.  One entry in the diary of Twiss Bermingham, a member of the Second Company describes some of the trying times experienced by the travelers:


“3d August.  Sunday.  Started at 5 o’clock without any breakfast and had to pull the cart through 6 miles of heavy sand.  Some places the wheels were up to the boxes and I was so weak from thirst and hunger and being exhausted with the pain of the boils that I was obliged to lie down several times, and many others had to do the same.  Some fell down.  I was very much grieved today, so much that I thought my heart would burst—sick—and poor Kate—at the same time—crawling on her hands and knees, and the children crying with hunger and fatigue.  I was obliged to take the children and put them on the hand cart and urge them along the road in order to make them keep up.  About 12 o’clock a thunder storm came on, and the rain fell in torrents.  In our tent we were standing up to our knees in water and every stitch we had was the same as if it were dragged through the river.  Rain continued until 8 o’clock the following morning.” (25)


The faith of the Saints remained firm, however, and in spite of the hardships they plodded on.  Mile after wearisome mile moved behind them and eventually they approached the Valley, and finally the first two companies arrived in Salt lake Valley together on September 26.


The reunion was a joyous one!  Agnes Adamson Anderson and her sons Archibald A., John, and James, were reunited with their beloved husband and father, as well as with Agnes’ mother and brothers, and Adamsons.  The long weeks and months of anxious waiting were over, and the dream into which so much sacrifice and patience had gone, was not a reality.  The opportunity for a new life in the far west of America was in the hands of these courageous and noble souls.


Agnes Baird Adamson was now in her 75th year.  The hope of once again seeing her daughter had sustained her over the months of waiting for the arrival of this handcart company.  She lived only a few weeks after these events.  Death came to this gracious lady on November 12, 1856, and she was buried in Salt Lake City.


Records indicate that the new arrivals in the Valley lived with the Adamsons for  awhile and then later moved to Union Fort, about ten miles south of Salt Lake City.  Probably the best account of the activities of the Andersons over the next four years is provided through the writing of Loren A. Anderson, youngest son and child of James Anderson.  He records that at Union Fort:


“Archie and John went to work for a man names ‘Griffit’ and James worked for a man whom he called Father Farbush.


“The family remained in Union until the Autumn of 1857 when they moved to Spanish Fork.  They built a tworoom adobe hut at a bout 8th North and 4th East.  The hut had a willow-dirt roof and no floor.


“The family broke up 20 acres of land at Palmyra that fall.  The next spring their wheat came up beautifully and headed, but so much alkali came to the surface that the heads never filled and the crop was almost a total failure.


“In order to keep alive the following winter, the boys went to Goshen Valley, made charcoal and peddled it to blacksmiths throughout Utah Valley.” (26)


It was while at Spanish Fork that one of the interesting experiences of the family is recalled:


“At the time that Johnsons Army came into Echo Canyon, the Mormon people could scarcely rake together enough clothing to make comfortable the men they had to send out to stop the army.  In Spanish Fork, men were sent to each of the homes to collect what could be spared.  When thy came to the Anderson home the father was there alone and after searching about for something to contribute he could find nothing but an old Scottish plaid shawl which belonged to his wife.  Mr. Bowen (see note) said he happened to be present when she returned home and found that her shawl had been given away.  She was quite provoked and said, ‘You could gi’n them the hoose or you could gi’n them the coo, but much I want my plade’.” (27)


Continuing with the Loren Anderson history:


“After three years of crop failures and charcoal burning, they moved to Fairview (then North Bend), arriving March 6, 1860.  They located on Birch Creek.  They broke up 20 acres of land that spring and although their plating was late they harvested a wonderful crop of wheat and potatoes.”


There seems to be some uncertainty as to whether the family first built a home and lived on Birch Creek or whether they first built the home right in North Bend.  It is known, however, that first home they did construct in the town was built on the resent site of Hugh Anderson’s home near the corner of Center Street and Second East.


The boys all took up land south of town and began their lives as farmers although they too had their homes in town.  Archibald A. and John farmed on Birch Creek while James’ land was on Spring Creek.


Archibald Anderson and his wife, Agnes, and their sons, each by this time starting to be identified with their own families, soon found their places in social and religious life in this infant community of North Bend.  It is recorded in a history of Fairview that: “The first school trustees, Elisha Jones, Archibald Anderson, Sr., and Andrew Peterson, met in 1862 to discuss the hiring of Adelia Cox, as teacher for thirteen weeks at $4.50 per week.” (28)


Archibald’s involvement in the naming of Fairview is also recorded:


“One day—between sessions of conference in 1864—Archibald Anderson was with a group of people talking to Apostle Orson Hyde (then president of Sanpete Stake).  Someone said North Bend was a cold place—nine months winter and three months damned cold weather.  Then Archibald said; Aye, but it’s a fair view, down the valley—a sight to please the eye, and I think it would be a far better name of our mountain home than North Bend.  So, after some consideration the name was changed to Fairview, and so it is today.” (29)


Other incidents and experiences that have been recorded attest to the deeply religious and spiritual nature of Archibald Anderson.  One of these recorded by his son James is as follows:


“Father was a very spiritual-minded man.  While traveling by team, in company with several other men with teams, hauling freight to Salt Lake, one of fathers became very lame.  When noon came he told the rest of the company he would not stop, but would go very slow, and soon they would catch up with him later in the afternoon.


“He continued on until he was just out of sight of the others in the canyon, and then he stopped, unhitched and fed his horses.  He told me that he did this because he wanted to be alone.  There may have been some of the men in the company that would not have had any faith and may even have made light of what he intended to do.  He then knelt down, and took the lame foot in his hands and asked the Lord to heal the animal, and that he might continue on with the company.


“When the company came along a short time after, father had the horses hitched, and was ready to go.  They were all surprised that the animal was not lame any more, and father made no comment but continued on with the company.” (30)


There are two or three versions of the story regarding the prediction of the coming of the railroad into Sanpete County by Archibald Anderson.  The common elements of the stories are these: While working on the Birch Creek farm one day with his sons and a neighbor, Moroni Turpin, Archibald told them that one day a railroad would come through the valley and pass right through that farm.  He indicated that the boys would live to see this become a reality.


Archibald did not himself live to see this come true, but all of the boys did see the railroad come into Sanpete.


It must have been a source of great joy and satisfaction to Archibald and Agnes to contemplate the results of their efforts to bring the family to America.  The community of Fairview, the fertile valley which they loved, and the beautiful mountains to the east, had all been very good to them and their sons.  This had now become their permanent home and the place where the ultimate dream was being fulfilled.  The sons now had their own families, their homes, and their farms, and there was the beginning of the opportunity for life for hundreds of descendents who one day could look back upon the achievements of these hardy ancestors and pioneers with admiration and gratitude.


For a man and woman to carve out this kind of heritage for their descendents is the greatest gift of which mere humans are capable.  Time and circumstances provide only a few with such an opportunity, and the select of our Father’s Kingdom are sensitive to the whisperings that lead them to lives that less the generations which follow.


Archibald’s life came to a close in March of 1869 and it was with sorrow that Agnes and her sons laid their husband father to rest.  Their family head had left them and now each must assume a new role in the life ahead.


In 1876 the boys worked together to build a new adobe one-room home for their mother.  This was just a few feet to the east of the older home she and Archibald had occupied.  Today this adobe room is still in use as part of Hugh Anderson’s home.  The front door, with its stone lintel carved out by Archibald A. and bearing his name and the date, along with the rest of the room, have been plastered over to make them a part of the present home.


Agnes lived in this little home, watching the growth of Fairview and her sons’ families until her own death in July of 1891 at the age of 87 years.





(1) This quotation is from a journal kept by Alexander Adamson.  The original document is in the possession of Mrs. Reed Prince of New Harmony, Utah.  A typewritten copy belongs to H. Reese Anderson of Bountiful, Utah.  See also entry under “1948” page 35 of Church Chronology, A Record of Important Events, compiled by Andrew Jensen, Second Edition, Revised and Enlarged.  Deseret News, Salt Lake City.  1899.


(2) From a letter written from St. Louis by President Franklin D. Richards on May 1, 1848, on board the steamer “Mameluke” to the Editors of the “Millenial Star”.  Published in Volume X, pp. 203-207.


(3) Church Chronology, p. 35.


(4) Orson F. Whitney, History of Utah, Volume 1. Salt Lake City, Utah, 1892. George Q. Cannon and Sons, Publishers, p. 386-87.


(5) See the sets of Family group Sheets accumulated by the Family through research.


(6) See the Family Group Sheet for this couple.


(7) This story of the notions store is found in several versions of the Anderson history.


(8) From "A Brief History of Archibald Anderson, Sr." by A. J. Anderson of Fairview, published for the family reunion held at the Flat Canyon Forest Camp, July 25-27, 1947.


(9) Two dates are given for this baptism: 27 March 1848 is shown on the Family Group Sheet where he appears as a son. In the "Brief History" written by A. H. Anderson and Matilda Peterson for the 1947 publication the statement is made: "He was baptized into the Church November 8, 1848 by J. Jordon."


(10) See the Family Group Sheets.


(11) Agnes and James Whitelaw raised a familyi of at least four children.  One of them was known to have been in South Africa and another was known to be in New Zealand.  Two sons, John and Archie were still in Scotland when the last communication from them was received.  A copy of a letter from Archie to relatives in America is included elsewhere in this publication.  This document says that Agnes remained true to her own church.


(12) From the Millenial Star (Liverpool, England). Vol X, pp. 81-88.


(13) Millennial Star. Vol IX, p. 41.


(14) Jensen, Andrew, Church Chronology, A Record of Important Events, Second Edition, Revised and Enlarged. Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1899, p. 53. See also: "Emmigration--Book C, Emmigration--Records from Liverpool Office of the British Mission, 1854-1855." pp. 160, 191. Film No. 6184, Part I. Genealogical Library, Salt Lake City. Index of Emmigrants, Film No. 38335 Part I, Genealogical Library, Salt Lake City.


(15) "Journal History", Entry for October 24, 1855. Film No. 143 in the Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City, Utah. Millenial Star, Vol. IXVII, pp. 238, 266, 378, 578, 579, 580, 605.


(16) Published in the Millenial Star of December 22, 1855. (XVII, pp. 813-14).


(17) Millenial Star. January 26, 1856. (XVIII, pp. 52, 54).


(18) See issues of the Millenial Star for the winter of 1855-56. See also Handcarts to Zion, The Story of a Unique Western Migration, by LeRoy R. and Ann W. Hafen, published by the Arthur H. Clark Co., Glendale, California, 1960, pp. 30-31.


(19) From an incident recorded by Sylvia Anderson Miner of Fairview, Utah, and in possession of this writer.


(20) Recorded on page 75 of Emigration Records from Liverpool Office of the British Mission, 185-56. Microfilm No. 6184 Part 2, Utah Genealogical Library.


(21) Handcarts to Zion, p. 56.


(22) A report made by Daniel D. McArthur to Wilford Woodruff on January 5, 1857, and recorded in Journal History under the date of September 26, 1856.


(23) Millenial Star, August 2, 1856, XVIII, p. 489.


(24) Journal History, September 26, 1856.


(25) Taken from Handcarts to Zion, by the Havens, pp. 72-73.


(26) Taken from a history written by Loren many years ago and upon which many other pieces of writing are based.


(27) This experience also from Loren A. Anderson and a William P. Bowen who knew the Andersons when they lived in Spanish Fork.


(28) These . . . Our Fathers, published by Daughters of the Utah Pioneers of Sanpete County, 1947, pp. 125-126.


(29) From narration written for the family reunion program held in Fairview, Saturday, July 27, 1968. Prepared by Eda Anderson. See also: W. H. Lever, History of Sanpete and Emery Counties, Salt Lake City, The Tribune Job-Printing Co., 1898, p. 351.


(30) From copy provided the writer from Elam H. Anderson, son of James.


Anderson, H. Reese. These We Honor: Archibald Anderson Family. Archibald Anderson Family Association, p. A-1.

Excerpts copied 17 Jul 2006 by J.F.