John was born in Fairview, Sanpete County, Utah, July 16, 1865. His mother was Carolina Johnson. In Sweden the name was Jonsson. John’s father, Archibald Adamson Anderson, was born in Scotland. Lucinda was the daughter of Rebecca Ann Sanders and Henry Weeks Sanderson. She was the youngest of nine girls and four of the five brothers. John had eight half sisters before a half brother, Thomas Reese, was born. John worked on the farm daily with his father and had great respect and love for him. There were ten years between his full brother, James W. and himself. His full sisters were Mary and Janet.


Lucinda was born in Fairview August 19, 1872. After their marriage the young couple lived in a small house in the middle of the block of her parents’ lot until they built their own neat red brick home on the northwest corner adjoining Lucinda’s parents’ lot. After about fifteen years John and Lucinda built a lovely home, consisting of nine rooms (walk-in clothes closets in five bedrooms). The house was of white brick. It is at this time (1970) one of the best-built houses in Fairview, Because the young people in Fairview liked to hear our player piano, it was often the gathering place on Sunday evenings after church for all ages—and home for some of the relatives.


Lucinda’s health was not good in her younger years when her children were small. She had great responsibilities when John was away with the sheep. Much depended on Clifton as he grew old enough to help. Their first child, a beautiful little girl named Ora Lucinda, died very suddenly with pneumonia; then came Clifton and Buena May. We went to the sheep camp with father to spend a few days in October. The men were working with the sheep some distance away from the wagon and tent. The children were playing close by. Mother noticed something was wrong. Soon Clifton and Calvin began having convulsions. Mother would question them between convulsions. They said they had found a bottle which they thought contained sugar, and they ate some of it. The bottle had fallen out of one of the herder’s pockets. Mother screamed for help, but the men were too far away. Some time later a man on horseback heard mother’s screams and responded, but it was too late. Calvin was dead. Clifton gradually got better. Buena must have been napping. She, at two and half years of age remembers playing around the sheep wagon with her brothers, John Clifton and William Calvin, six and four years of age. In due time Eva Allowee was born; later David Lyle; then shortly before we moved from our red brick home (preparatory to tearing it down) Owen Leslie arrived—a cute little black-headed boy. We called him our Indian. I think Ethan was born before we moved into a rented house. Lucinda’s mother was near death, but before she died she had mother promise that we would move into her house until ours was completed.


Father, mother, and baby Ethan and Eva went to Salt Lake to attend Conference. The day they arrived home, Buena came down with the measles. Ethan, on his one-year birthday, became very sick with the measles. A new doctor had come to town. When Ethan died, the doctor was told that Lyle had recovered from diphtheria only a short time before. The doctor immediately went after antitoxin for diphtheria and gave every one in the house shots. Owen, now the baby (28 months) got several times the required dosage. Mother and Eva got more than they should have had. All were bedfast and very ill—eyes swollen shut—bodies black and blue. Not knowing the new doctor at the time, we soon learned that he used dope. When he found what he had done he quickly left Fairview, no one knowing his whereabouts until years later. During Ethan’s illness we had Aunt Delia Bonnie, a well-known family nurse, with us.


Edwin Max was born January 26, 1909, and for six years we had our sweet smiling brother with us. He died March 17, 1915. Next our little sister, Jessie Matilda, was born March 17, 1911. She and Robert Allen were a joy to our family. Especially mother and father enjoyed them through the years. It was while father was in Lucern Valley the first time that he met a lost cousin named Robert Allen. Our Robert Allen was born July 14, 1915. Father returned and told mother that he would like to name the boy Robert Allen. Mother already had the name Robert in mind. Before Bob, Von Archibald came to us—on February 22, 1913. While still a very young baby he caught whooping cough, and many times we thought that he was gone. He would choke, turn blue, and before we could bring him to we would have time to run to the field for father. Father would douse him under the cold water tap and then under the warm, toss him in the air, roll him on the lawn; by that time the doctor would arrive.


Mother with the chore boy, would drive the home stock about two blocks to the creek for water. As Clifton grew big enough, much was expected of him. Later, father hired regular sheepherders who went to the west desert in the winter. Clifton, Hyrum, Albert Peterson (perhaps Otto Peterson) and others, besides father’s regular sheepherders, spent short periods with the sheep.


Father was a man who put trust in people. Sometimes they would take advantage of him. Such was the case when father was shown beautiful pictures of Lucern Valley. The growth on the land looked so inviting that father and Clifton took a trip to Wyoming. Father thought that he was leaving his sheep in charge of two reliable herders—one who had worked for years for father. However, on his return home he discovered that between six and eight hundred sheep were missing. The camp was situated between Fairview and the mining towns around Price, Utah. It would have been an easy matter to sell the sheep and drive them to the railroad for shipment to eastern cities, or butcher them and sell to the markets. This was a discouraging experience. Father decided to discontinue the business in which he had spent most of his life. He sold the sheep that were left and bought cattle.


Father bought the Birch Springs ranch from Joe Duncan in what is now called McKinnon, Wyoming. The cattle were shipped to the ranch. The first winter proved to be a hard one for the stock. Deep snow, cold winds, wet weather, and the lack of feed (which was very costly) proved disastrous to the animals.


Our Fairview home was sold to the station agent, Harry Rasmusson. Later Mr. Rasmusson moved away from Fairview and sold to Cleon Anderson, a nephew of mother’s. The dry farm was sold to Albert Madison. Our farm land was sold, and in early spring of 1921 the family moved from Fairview to McKinnon, leaving many relatives and life-long friends. John and Lucinda did much, as did their parents and grandparents before them, in building up the Fairview community. Father served in many different capacities, business and otherwise, such as city councilman. He was extremely generous with donations and helped whenever and wherever help was needed. John was chosen to be a counselor in the McKinnon Ward bishopric, where he served faithfully with three different bishops for many years. He completed a stake mission in Lyman and Mountain View, Wyoming. He served on the school board and was a member of the irrigation and reservoir company, using men and teams to build and keep reservoirs and irrigation ditches in repair. He was instrumental in the erection of the McKinnon Ward chapel, and be was one member who stayed on the job until he saw its completion and dedication.


Father, mother, and all their children appreciate the friendship, love, and help given to our family. Our McKinnon friends and those nearby have been many staunch and true leaders and friends. There have been times when true friendship has been needed in the John A. Anderson family, and neighbors and friends have always responded. One such time was when after years of toil, their house burned to the ground. This was a time when we really appreciated true and loyal friends. There are also many other instances.


Mrs. Buena A. Tillotson

2292 Roosevelt Avenue

Salt Lake City, Utah 84108


Anderson, Buena. History of John A Anderson & Lucinda Sanderson. Courtesy of